Home arrow News arrow Papua New Guinea Reports arrow Polocrosse - Papua New Guinea style
Polocrosse - Papua New Guinea style Print E-mail
Written by Barbara   
Tuesday, 04 July 2006
Article Index
Polocrosse - Papua New Guinea style
Page 2 - Organisation
Page 3 - Trophies
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7 - Playing the game
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16
Page 17
Page 18
Page 19
Page 20
Page 21
Page 22
Page 23
Page 24
Page 25
PNG Players and Trophy Winners


The A.L.Rose Cup, donated by Colonel Rose, for the A Grade was the most prestigious trophy. Col. Rose was the Chief Veterinary Officer in the Northern Territory. He had been associated with Bruce and Barbara Jephcott for many years, having assisted them with the establishment of Dumpu. He often visited PNG. In 1960 he had been commissioned by the Australian Government to write a report on the development and management of the cattle industry in TPNG.

Paul Frame donated a new B Grade Cup, while Robert Hannon was the donor of a C Grade Cup. These families also kindly gave replicas for the players in the winning teams. Cliff. Jurd gave a Cup for the Mixed Grade. Visiting coaches and umpires kindly donated trophies, they were; Joy Poole (Best Horse), Les and Robyn Fraser (Best Player), and Graham Broadbent (Best and Fairest Player).

It was decided that individual trophies for the National Titles should be the responsibility of the host Club. The other Clubs would donate K100 each towards the cost. Goroka Club was always the most extravagant, with silver goblets and ribbons in abundance. Ramu Club, thinking of items more useful to the national players, was probably the meanest. In 1981, Goroka were favourites to win all grades. Ramu actually won the A, B, and C Grades, and were awash in silver goblets and blue ribbons. After celebrating at the Goroka Sports Club, during which young Grant Jephcott acquired a taste for vodka and orange, we went home. Peter Grant, from Gusap, came to Dumpu looking for a lost saddle. Over coffee, looking at the wall festooned with blue ribbons, he remarked, “I wonder what Goroka are looking at now, red ribbons!”

The uniforms for players going on overseas tours, was a subject of much discussion. The principle was to relate to the PNG colours, red, black and yellow, difficult when it came to blazers. We finally got it right in 1983 with a pleasant dull red for the blazers. The bright red shirts and saddlecloths were always accepted. Black belonged to New Zealand and no one wanted yellow. When Bruce Duffield led a team to Victoria, he insisted on navy blue blazers, ignoring the fact that navy blue is Victoria's colour.

The length of matches and chukkas was also a bone of contention. Remembering that we played at six degrees from the Equator, and that our horses were mostly station stockhorses. Most of us were primarily concerned with the welfare of the horses, not the heroics of long polocrosse games. We usually played 4x6 minutes in preliminary matches and 6x6 in the finals. The lobby for eight-minute chukkas was rarely successful.

Timekeepers and scorers were seconded from non-players and were efficient, in spite of some barracking. Max Walters reprimanded one group, notably Aileen Leahy for noisily barracking her favoured team while timekeeping.

The AGM was rotated around the Clubs, being held by the Club due to host the next Nationals. In 1980 and 81, the President was Arthur Jones, with Jan Jones as Secretary and Clive Williams as Treasurer. All were from the Goroka Club. In this era it was decided that the Association should pay the fare for the visiting umpire/ coach. Air Nuigini, influenced by the then Minister for Transport and Civil Aviation, Bruce Jephcott, had donated the fares for Max Walters, Joy Poole and Les Fraser.

In 1982 the format for eligibility to play in the National Titles was discussed. It was agreed that a player must have been working in PNG for at least twelve months, or be a citizen, or be a member of a family of a long term resident. This was to stop the practice, or the temptation, to employ a good polocrosse player just before the Nationals. The rules about the transfer on players from Club to Club were discussed but never enforced. (See list of players).

Goroka Market

The 1982 AGM was held at the Waratah's Club in Lae. Because of the distances between Clubs the host Club always had most members attending. This had not really presented a problem, as voting was rarely necessary, consensus being normal. However in 1982 Clive Williams came from Goroka armed with PROXY VOTES. That caused a stir! The members present refused to recognise these votes, from one Club, and without notice. The offices of Secretary and Treasurer were merged again; Barbara Jephcott was elected Secretary/Treasurer. Trevor Kennedy was the new President. Fees were now at K15 for National and Junior players, and K20 for others. The increase was necessary to cover insurance and affiliation with the IPA.

Clubs were starting to invite Australian Clubs, Ramu / Stanthorpe; Goroka / Burradoo. All Clubs welcomed the visitors.

Chief Umpires and vice-Presidents were elected by the Executive, which consisted of the Club representatives and elected officers.

Last Updated ( Monday, 20 November 2006 )
Next >
Copyright 1998 - 2017 Polocrosse Worldwide. All rights reserved.
Site by Blueroo Web Designs